October 24, 2016

Sew: Sewaholic Hollyburn Skirt


Another pattern that I'm late to the party with. Never mind. This is the Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt which is a lovely pattern that is well drafted. I've made it in a stretch wool suiting but I'm dying to make it in a wool crepe with a lovely drape. It would also be fabulous in a linen for summer. The possibilities are endless!

Project Details
Pattern: Sewaholic Hollyburn Skirt, size 16
Fabric: Stretch wool suiting from The Fabric Store
Alterations: None
See also: Sewn By Elizabeth | Owl Laughing | The Long & Winding Bobbin

Sew: Cashmerette Appleton Dress

As always, I'm late to the party with this pattern. I like to see how everyone else goes before I attempt a pattern!

The pattern is of course the Cashmerette Appleton wrap dress. I do love a good wrap dress but the last one I made slips off my shoulders so I get sore shoulders when I wear it. The Appleton stays exactly where it is supposed to. The wrap provides good coverage up top and I won't need to wear a slip underneath (when the weather finally warms up!). I find the top layer of skirt drops down when I wear it. This is fixed if I tie it up under my breast but the wrap wants to tie around my waist where I prefer it to tie. I will need to look in to this more before I make my next version. I'm planning a plain black one next.

The fabric is a viscose knit that I picked up at the House of Cloth a few weeks ago when I went to Bendigo with some fellow sewing ladies. It was hanging in the window and I couldn't walk past. I love the colour. The fabric is pilling slightly where it rubs against something, like my work lanyard or under my arms. We'll see how it goes. The only other issue with the fabric is that the tie is a little to heavy for the fabric and I can't pull it too tightly around me. I'll use a thicker knit with more stretch next time.

Project Details
Pattern: Cashmerette Appleton Dress, size 16
Fabric: Viscose jersey from House of Cloth
Alterations: Lengthened skirt by 6cm
See also: Crafting a Rainbow | Thornberry | Idle Fancy
October 08, 2016

Sew: S2343 Floral Pencil Skirt

My beloved original Simplicity 2343 skirt was worn to death (probably beyond) and was finally thrown out earlier this year. This left a hole in my heart, and work wardrobe, that was in need of fixing straight away. Luckily I had started this skirt 12 months earlier and it was sitting in the naughty corner (aka UFO pile) as the waistband was too big. A quick unpick and a few stitches later I had myself a worthy replacement! 

This is the best pencil skirt pattern I am yet to come by. And I own plenty of patterns! The waistband is curved which makes it sit perfectly. And the standard skirt darts are replaced by triangles on the sides that add shape. I chose to line my skirt by copying the general shape of the skirt, adding a centimetre to each side seam and pleating it to fit the waistband. 

The fabric is a floral sateen from Tessuti that I loved so much I had a dress, skirt and top out of it! The dress and top aren't worn much, but this skirt is a winner.

Project Details:
Pattern: Simplicity 2343, view D, size 18
Fabric: Floral cotton sateen from Tessuti Melbourne
Alterations: Added 5cm length, lined skirt
See Also: Sew Brunswick 

Sew: Tessuti Frankie Dress

Tessuti have done it again! They've created a simple yet stylish classic pattern. So many possibilities! 

Frankie and I got off to a bit of a rough start. My first version was in a stable ponte and the arms and upper chest were way too tight. The second was a muslin that I intend to wear as a nightie. Unfortunately, my test version was in a very stretchy jersey so I didn't pick up on the continuing fit issues. This version is made in a black viscose jersey from Tessuti that I've used before many times. This time I ordered 5 metres to keep me going for a while! It is completely wearable (and I will wear it often) but there are a few issues that I'll fix for the next version. 

The first main issue is that the arms are too tight. I will slash and spread the pattern piece, like I do the Mandy boat tee, and add about 2cm at the hem. I think this will fix a lot of the problem but I also think the shoulders and neckline aren't wide enough on me. I think I will try adding a centimetre or two to the centre front. I just want it to sit wider across the top. Not very technical but I think it will work.

Otherwise, it's a really great pattern. I omitted the elastic in neckline and it seems to be fine. The played around with the length of the sleeve and skirt. The sleeves were hemmed at just above elbow length and the skirt is half way between the two skirt pattern lengths. A good midi length.

Project Details
Pattern: Tessuti Fabrics Frankie Dress, size XL
Fabric: Hashtag black jersey from Tessuti
Alterations: Length is half way between the two dress lengths, sleeves hemmed to elbow length, omitted clear elastic in neckline
See also: Sew South London | Funk Bunny

So what do you think? Have you made the Frankie dress yet?

July 29, 2016

Sew: Vogue 1247 skirt


I finally jumped on the Vogue 1247 bandwagon. I like to make sure that it is thoroughly tested before I decide to join in! I made the skirt without all the bells and whistles (no pockets or binding). I also graded out from the hips down by 1cm each side and added 6cm length for a decent hem.

The fabric is a printed denim I found on the Tessuti remnant table when I popped in for some samples. It's nice and study and I love the print. Can't have enough animal print!

There's not much else to say about this skirt. It will fit in perfectly with my wardrobe of black and grey!

Project Details
Pattern: Vogue 1247, size 18
Fabric: Printed denim from Tessuti Fabrics Melbourne
Alterations: Added 6cm to length, used a 6cm hem, graded out 1cm from just above hip

Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat